[Gluster-devel] namespace cache

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Thu Jul 19 20:52:44 UTC 2007

Tough to say, I do not know much about the NTFS filesystem. If NTFS can
provide a posix compliant filesystem access, with extended attributes,
glusterfs should work on it theoretically (discounting the porting efforts
involved in getting glusterfsd to run on windows, which might not be much)

thanks,
avati

2007/7/10, DeeDee Park <deedee6905 at hotmail.com>:

> Just a quick question. Will glusterfs work on file systems that don't
> support inodes? I don't know much about the Windows NTFS details, but will
> glusterfs eventually work there or only targeted to work on the unix file
> systems? A few people have told me that they would use glusterfs to
> utilize
> free disk space on the windows office desktops as additional storage
> bricks.
> I'm using VMware player to currently create a unix virtual server within
> Windows to do this. Eventually I would like to have a simpler solution and
> have an agent work directly on the Win platform.
>

> >From: "Amar S. Tumballi" <amar at zresearch.com>
> >To: "Brent A Nelson" <brent at phys.ufl.edu>
> >CC: Gluster Developers List <gluster-devel at nongnu.org>
> >Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] namespace cache
> >Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 05:30:55 +0530
> >
> >Let me tell how inode is propagated through each translator. Hope many
> may
> >want to know.
> >
> >All the translators which has just one child nodes
> >(!(unify,afr,stripe,client-protocol,posix)) send the inode number passed
> by
> >the child volume to the upper layer. Hope that makes sense. Now, let me
> >explain each of these translators.
> >
> >* posix - sends the inode number of the file/directory from actual file
> >system.
> >
> >* client-protocol - sends inode number it got from the server to upper
> >layer.
> >
> >* stripe - sends the inode number of the first child all the time (as
> >stripe
> >needs first child node to be up all the time) to above layer.
> >
> >* afr - sends the inode number of first available (in the order specified
> >in
> >'subvolumes' option) child node to above layer.
> >
> >* unify - always sends the inode number got from the namespace child.
> >
> >So, if one uses the afr, it has a chance when a afr'ed namespace is down,
> >it
> >gets different inode number from unify.
> >
> >-bulde
> >
> >On 7/4/07, Brent A Nelson <brent at phys.ufl.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >>Does this work even if the namespace volume is an AFR?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Brent

> (If

> are