[Gluster-devel] Regarding Block level access and Oracle

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Wed Jul 18 10:50:59 UTC 2007

Faraz,
  Thanks for trying GlusterFS! About running oracle on GlusterFS, i do not
quite know what kind of blocklevel access oracle needs for working. If it is
similar to directly working on /dev/sda, it would be a bit difficult to do
that with GlusterFS. I'm not sure if oracle will be satisfied if you create
a striped file across nodes using GlusterFS and provide a directIO access to
that file (i.e. oracle treats that as raw partition). That way you can gain
the redundancy features (of AFR) and still have a block level (equivalent)
access.

thanks,
avati

2007/7/15, Faraz Khan <faraz.khan at emergen.biz>:

> Dear All,
>
> Firstly Gluster is a dream come true! Many thanks to people putting
> their efforts into this. Wanted to ask regarding the possibility of
> running something like Oracle on Gluster - problem being block level
> access. Mysql and Postgres run completely okay but i doubt oracle will
> (lustre has the same problem).
>
> Though I haven't gone too deep into gluster's architecture- if one
> wanted this functionality how can be (broadly) go about implementing it?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Faraz R Khan
> Emergen Consulting Pvt Ltd