[Gluster-devel] NFS reexport

Amar S. Tumballi amar at zresearch.com
Tue Jul 10 05:05:23 UTC 2007

Hi Richard,
 Yes, you can't directly use the 1FreeBSD server as glusterfsd server yet.
But your idea is perfect, you can export the FreeBSD server's disk using
NFS. and in the server where you have Linux, use it as a posix translator.

Assume you have

/mnt/usb1 <- first USB disk
/mnt/usb2 <- second USB disk
/mnt/freebsd <- NFS exported freebsd partition.

now your server config will look like

----
volume usb1
  type storage/posix
  directory /mnt/usb1
end-volume

volume usb2
  type storage/posix
  directory /mnt/usb2
end-volume

volume nfs
  type storage/posix
  directory /mnt/freebsd
end-volume

volume unify
  type cluster/unify
  subvolumes nfs usb1 usb2
  option namespace ns
  option scheduler rr
end-volume

volume server
  option auth.ip.unify.allow *
end-volume

------

Now you can have a client spec with just a client protocol, which connects
to unify ("option remote-subvolume unify")

-amar

On 7/7/07, Richard Mann <consultrmann at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I am testing a very simple config (1 client, 2 server).  What i  would
> like to know is, is it possible to mount multiple external usb  drives to
> the server while simultaneously "nfs" mapping a raid server  (freebsd - no
> gluster) to be "unified" and viewed via the gluster  client?
>
>   To clarify:
>
>   1 client  (Linux)
>   1 server (Linux w/ 2 500GB usb drives)
>   1 server (freeBSD - RAID w/ 1TB)
>
>   Here's the idea:
>
>   The linux server would "mount" the FreeBSD server because, gluster is
> not supported on bsd (huge bummer).
>
>   The linux server would also have external usb drives mounted (2- 500GB)
>
>   Then, "unify" the NFS mount (reexport ?) along with the external drives
> to the same namespace.
>
>   If possible, I should see 2TB from the client.  If so, what kind of
> config should I use?
>

>   Thanks

Amar Tumballi
http://amar.80x25.org