[Gluster-devel] Re: [Support] Gluster on FreeBSD?

Anand Babu Periasamy ab at zresearch.com
Fri Jul 6 19:50:30 UTC 2007

Francisco Reyes writes:
> I noticed that it works in varies Linux distributions. Any plans to
> ever support FreeBSD?
>
> The company I work for is looking into the possibility of using a
> distributed filesystem to store mail.
>
> If you did not have plans to support FreeBSD any ideas if you would
> consider to do it for money as a project? If so what would be the
> cost?
>
> Also, in your opinion, is your FS fast enough to support using it
> for mailstore?

Francisco,
People from our mailing list are already using GlusterFS for email
backend. We are getting closer to 1.3 stable release.

We would love to see GlusterFS supported on FreeBSD operating
system, but we do not have FreeBSD expertise. If you are willing to
pay, better suggestion would be to look for a FreeBSD developer and
pay him directly. We will support him/her in terms of guidance and
patches.

Porting GlusterFS server should be seamless. GlusterFS client requires
FUSE interface in the kernel, which FreeBSD already has. This work
should not require any kernel expertise.

You can find some GlusterFS benchmarks here..
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS#GlusterFS_Benchmarks

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31