[Gluster-devel] mainline--2.5--patch-258: still no AFR replication

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Jul 2 15:54:38 UTC 2007

Anand Avati wrote:

>     Avati,
>       That won't work as true replication.  If the app is getting a
>     list of
>     files in a directory to act upon, they will get a short list and not
>     even know that some files are missing.  When we put files out on
>     client0
>     we need for those files to replicate to all nodes.
>

> Gerry,
>   If the file exists on any one volume it should be visible to the
> application (entry should exist in 'ls') and get replicated to the
> configured number of copies (based on filename) during the followng
> open().
>
> thanks,
> --
> Anand V. Avati

Avati,
  How can this work?  If I have a tree of files (200,000 files) and I
update this tree and maybe 30,000 files are added/changed/deleted then
are you saying that we need to open() all 30,000 files on client0 for
them to be replicated to the other bricks?  What about the deleted
files?  No way to open() those.

Gerry