[Gluster-devel] excessive inode consumption in namespace?

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Mon Jul 2 15:41:58 UTC 2007

I'm having a bit of a puzzle here.

> I've setup a 1 server, 1 client test. The server exports 4 bricks and a
> namespace volume, and the client unifies those (see specs at the bottom).
>
> The namespace directory actually sits on the first partition, so I would
> expect that partition to show twice the number of consumed inodes compared
> the other partitions. But what I'm seeing instead is a threefold
> consumption:

That is a bit of wrong math.

No of inodes in NS = No of directories in any child + No of files in all
children.
It is not directly proportional to any one child.

The namespace should be put on a partition where you can create LOT of small
files. Generally XFS or reiserfs will do a good job. If you are using ext3,
format it with a very small block size.

thanks,
avati

--