Fwd: [Gluster-devel] glusterfs-1.3.0-pre5

Amar S. Tumballi amar at zresearch.com
Sun Jul 1 04:45:37 UTC 2007

Hi all,
 Wanted to mention few things about the GlusterFS-1.3.0-pre5+ release.

* Due to our migration from path based APIs to inode based APIs, this
release lacks backward compatibility. (Sorry for that, but inode based APIs
were must to support all the fops). So, make sure, you have server and
client belonging to version 1.3.0-pre5+.

* AFR and Stripe translators need the underlaying file systems to support
extended attributes for their perfect behaviour (self-heal etc). But, if you
want to export data from earlier versions, it works fine. But new files
needs to be created with extended attribute supported filesystem.

* Unify needs extra option 'option namespace <x>', which will be a child
volume, which is not listed in subvolumes, where the whole namespace is
maintained. Now one can start glusterfs without having the proper directory
structure, it (re)builds namespace properly.

* Translators 'performance/stat-prefetch' and 'features/trash' are not yet
ready in the pre5 release, so please do not use them in your volume spec
file right now.

* There is one new translator 'performance/io-cache'. Feel free to use it as
read performance enhancement.

We are not yet ready with documentation completely. So, if you find
something is missing in gluster wiki, feel free to add (if you know the
answer, post the answer. If you have questions, post the questions).

-bulde.

On 6/27/07, Steffen Grunewald <steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 06:01:05PM +0530, Anand Avati wrote:
> > that was a bummer, sorry, just uploaded
> >

> http://ftp.zresearch.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/1.3-pre/glusterfs-1.3.0-pre5.1.tar.gz
>
> This one's a lot better :-) Debian build worked like a charm. Now if I
> could
> be so brave to test it in The Real World...
>
> Thanks for the quick fix
> Steffen

Amar Tumballi
http://amar.80x25.org