[Gluster-devel] [FreeBSD: Fixes]

Harshavardhana harsha at zresearch.com
Fri Feb 9 06:00:32 UTC 2007

Amar,
     Well that might be a concern now :O.  But for regarding FreeBSD port
i saw an API missing in the
      Extended Attributes for UFS (Unix File System).  like the setxattr
call. I did write a wrapper
      around the setxattr and many others like this  but i felt  do
discard the idea of porting as the
      XATTR_CREATE and XATTR_REPLACE  missing from the extattr API of the
FreeBSD. This is on
      FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE.  Have a look at the below code.

------ SNIP -----------
ssize_t bsd_setxattr (const char *path, const char *name,
		      void *value, ssize_t size, u_int32_t position,
		      int options)
{
  int rv = 0;
  int nofollow;
  if (position != 0) {
    return -1;
  }
  nofollow = options & XATTR_XATTR_NOFOLLOW;
  options &= ~XATTR_XATTR_NOFOLLOW;
  if (options == XATTR_XATTR_CREATE ||
      options == XATTR_XATTR_REPLACE) {
     /* FreeBSD doesn't have this in its extattr API :( */
   }
  else if (options != 0) {
    return -1;
  }
  if (options & XATTR_XATTR_NOFOLLOW) {
    rv = extattr_set_link (path, EXTATTR_NAMESPACE_USER,
			   name, value, size);
  }
  else {
    rv = extattr_set_file (path, EXTATTR_NAMESPACE_USER,
			   name, value, size);
  }
   /* FreeBSD returns written length on success not zero */
  if (rv >= 0) {
    return 0;
  }
  else {
    return rv;
  }
}

And for the compatibility issues, if in future we are going for any port
on Solaris based systems. Then we need to put a check for all GNU Glibc
specific functions,headers in configure.ac and use of AC_CANONICAL_HOST
will be must for checking ${host_os}.

Gracias,
Harshavardhana