[Gluster-devel] Decomission a brick

DeeDee Park deedee6905 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 14 19:37:24 UTC 2007

Thanks, the concept makes sense. I would be using the unify scenario you gave, but it requires
effectively a downtime while the brick is rsynced back into the /mnt/glusterfs. It does take quite a bit
of time to get large quantites of data transferred back into the active file system.

I would like to see a feature where I can still keep the brick active, yet all *new* file accesses or creations would not use the brick that was planned for decomission. This way as the regularly used files are then moved off to other bricks by normal use, and over time there would be less to transfer from the decomissioning brick. Isn't there some way to do this in the spec file so that no more files are written to the brick?

I was thinking something more like
1) set available disk size to zero for the brick
2) find /mnt/glusterfs (this would move the files out of the full or decomissioned brick)
3) then clean up the spec file some more, and remount the glusterfs
This scenario has much less time that the files are unavailable to the users. I do not know if all these features are available in the current product.