[Gluster-devel] Decomission a brick

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Mon Dec 10 08:18:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 02:12:50AM +0000, DeeDee Park wrote:

> What is the procedure for removing a brick from operation without loosing any of the data while still
> providing an operational file system for the other users?

And just to jump in with a similar issue:
What's the preferred way to backup a glusterfs brick, and even more important:
how to restore it?
My prospective use of glusterfs will be quasi-static storage of data which
are hard to reproduce from other sources (mostly because of bandwidth reasons)
so there's a need to keep a local backup (and since several n-TB volumes are
involved, having only one overall backup might become tricky). OTOH there
may be ways to fill a volume without glusterfs being aware of it - is there
a way yet to tell glusterfs not to write to an individual volume?

Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/
* e-mail: steffen.grunewald(*)aei.mpg.de * +49-331-567-{fon:7233,fax:7298}
No Word/PPT mails - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html