[Gluster-devel] timeout setting

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Fri Dec 7 07:14:43 UTC 2007

Tsukasa,
 --attr-timeout is an indication to the kernel on how long it has to cache
attributes of an inode before doing a filesystem (network) call to refresh
it.

 --entry-timeout is an indication to the kernel on how long it has to keep
the dentry in the dcache before doing a refresh call with the filesystem.

transport-timeout in the protocol/client tells how long the client has to
wait for a response from the server before deciding that the network
connection is broken.

avati

2007/12/7, Tsukasa Morii <tsukasa.morii at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using glusterfs 1.3.7 and would like to know the differences below.
>
> --attr-timeout=SECONDS (glusterfs start up option)
> --entry-timeout=SECONDS (glusterfs start up option)
> option transport-timeout 30 (protocol-client option)
>
> What I realize is to get a quick error response from servers when
> clients cannot access to a file on them.

It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account
Hofstadter's Law.

-- Hofstadter's Law