Re: [Gluster-devel] Is lock (fcntl) supported by multilple concurent client ?

gpvcs@tiscali.fr gpvcs at tiscali.fr
Wed Apr 4 17:50:56 UTC 2007

Hi Avati,
>you need to use fuse.ko from fuse-2.6.x from fuse.sf.net.
>the standard kernels' fuse dont support locking as the 2.6
fuse is not
>yet merged into mainstream kernel.
You are damn right. I was mislead by the rpm for FC4 called
fuse-2.6.1-1.tar.gz which seam to be just man pages..
I compiled fuse, install it and it fixes partly my problems.
To get the version of fuse loaded I use:
strings $(modinfo fuse|awk '/filename/{print $2}')|grep -E
"2.6|7."
which should return 2.6.3
It return 7.6  or 7.8 for old fuse version. Do you know a
better way ?

In my configuration I noticed that locks are sticky. I dont
know why but I found this behaviour:
- first client open file, lock it (fcntl) and write to it
and close it OK
- second client open file, try to lock it and wait (fcntl
SETLKW), obtain the lock, write to it and close it OK
- first client open file, try to lock it and wait FOREVER
(fcntl SETLW) KO!
- second client open file, try to lock it and wait FOREVER
(fcntl SETLW) KO!

In fact it looks like that lock obtain by SETLKW are never
released.
On the other hand, locks obtain by GETLW/SETLK are released.

I know you are busy working on the lock code. Do you see any
reason for this behaviour ?

Regards FT

------------------------ ALICE C'EST ENCORE MIEUX AVEC CANAL+ LE BOUQUET ! ---------------
Découvrez vite l'offre exclusive ALICEBOX et CANAL+ LE BOUQUET, en cliquant ici http://alicebox.fr