[automated-testing] Glusto and Python3

Jonathan Holloway jholloway at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 15:34:26 UTC 2018

Hey Nigel,

I started porting to Python3 earlier in the year.
With other pressing items behind us, I can focus on finishing that up.
We'll also be able to move away from im_func at the same time.

Vijay, any estimates on how long it will take to port all of the upstream
tests to python3?

RPyC definitely has that limitation of not being able to mix Python2/3
across client/server.
It's one of the reasons we've historically relied on the ssh methods for
the majority of calls which are simple (ls, rm, etc), and not just use RPyC
because it's more pythonic.

If the majority/all of the changes to tests can be taken care of by
something like 2to3 or modernize, then we can probably knock it out fast
enough to avoid maintaining two environments over time.