[Gluster-users] Unexpected behaviour adding a third server

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Mon Jan 25 14:54:41 UTC 2016

On 01/23/2016 02:17 PM, Steve Spence wrote:
> We've a simple two-server one volume arrangement, replicating ~340k
> files (15GB) between our web servers.
>
> The servers are in AWS, sat in different availability zones. One of
> the operations for this weekend is to add another pair of machines,
> one in each AZ.
>
> I've deployed the same OS image of the gluster server (3.6) and was
> under the impression I could add a brick to the existing replica
> simply by issuing the below:
>
> gluster volume add-brick volume1 replica 3 pd-wfe3:/gluster-store
>
> And then presumably would add the fourth server by repeating the above
> with "replica 4" and the fourth server name.
>
> The operation appeared to succeed, the brick appears alongside the others:

> Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: pd-wfe1:/gluster-store
> Brick2: pd-wfe2:/gluster-store
> Brick3: pd-wfe3:/gluster-store
>
> but almost immediately pd-wfe1 crept up to 100% CPU with the gluster
> processes, and nginx began timing out serving content from the volume.

Could you disable client-side healing?
"gluster volume set <volname> cluster.entry-self-heal off
"gluster volume set <volname> cluster.data-self-heal off
"gluster volume set <volname> cluster.metadata-self-heal off

We are in the process of making this experience smooth for 3.8. by
introducing throttling of self-heal traffic, automatic healing.
+Anuradha,
        Could you give him the steps he need to perform after doing
add-brick until the patch you sent is merged?

Pranith