[Gluster-users] Data reconstruction from an EC volume

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Mon Jan 25 12:55:36 UTC 2016

On 01/24/2016 04:15 PM, Serkan Çoban wrote:
> When you use distributed/replicated volumes yes it is true that files
> are untouched, but in case of erasure coded volume, files separated to
> chunks. So there is no way you just mount and get the files...
+Xavi, Ashish.
hi Serkan,
       At the moment there is no tool which does this. We can write one,
which will do the reconstruction. What are the requirements? When would
you like to use it? Why do you not want the gluster processes to run?
Should the tool connect to the machines on which the fragments are
stored and then construct the file and write it somewhere or will all
the chunks be copied somewhere and we run the tool locally?

Answers to these questions should help us come up with a good problem
statement which we can find a solution for.

Pranith

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 12:42 PM, Mathieu Chateau
> <mathieu.chateau at lotp.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> not sure to understand. Gluster store files as regular ones, which is one
>> big difference against ceph and others that store container/blocks.
>>
>> Just mount disk as normal one, your data should be there.
>>
>> Cordialement,
>> Mathieu CHATEAU
>> http://www.lotp.fr

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know if it is possible to reconstruct data from an EC
>>> volume without gluster online? If it is possible do you know any tool
>>> that does this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Serkan