[Gluster-users] Shard in production

Bello Florent florent.bello at ville-kourou.fr
Thu Jan 21 15:55:03 UTC 2016

Thank you very much for this informations. I'm going to test this
features right now in my test lab. If it OK, then i implement in my
production environnement.

Le 21/01/2016 01:42, Krutika Dhananjay a
écrit :

> Right. I'd also like to just add that in its current form,
sharding does not support zerofill and discard operations and their
development is underway.
> As far as fallocate is concerned, it should
be possible to use the operation on a sharded volume if it is invoked
through posix_fallocate() API.

> Also, in our testing we have found
512MB shard size to provide good performance as far as both IO and
self-heal are concerned. I hope that works for you too!

<lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com>
<kdhananj at redhat.com>, "Bello Florent"
<florent.bello at ville-kourou.fr>
>> CC: gluster-users at gluster.org

SENT: Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:22:09 AM
>> SUBJECT: Re:
[Gluster-users] Shard in production

>> Heh, thanks Krutika.

believe its pretty much there, have been stress testing it on our
production VM cluster for weeks, though not with critical VM's. It is a
huge improvement when for the heal process when dealing with large VM's.
Failure modes have been very reliable to.

>> Nb. All my testing has
been VM's - e.g a few large files with only one process accessing them.
I can't speak to the many thousands of dirs/files use case.

>> If
you are using it for VM hosting (as you are) then it is essential that
you set the "virt" group properties, other wise you will end up with VM
corruption. These are the settings I've evolved over my testing:

Options Reconfigured:
>>> performance.readdir-ahead: off

features.shard: on
>>> features.shard-block-size: 512MB

cluster.self-heal-window-size: 256
>>> server.event-threads: 4

client.event-threads: 4
>>> cluster.quorum-type: auto

cluster.server-quorum-type: server
>>> performance.low-prio-threads:
32
>>> performance.io-thread-count: 32

performance.cache-refresh-timeout: 4
>>> nfs.disable: on

nfs.addr-namelookup: off
>>> nfs.enable-ino32: off

performance.write-behind: off
>>> performance.strict-write-ordering:
on
>>> performance.stat-prefetch: off
>>> performance.quick-read:
off
>>> performance.read-ahead: off
>>> performance.io-cache: off

cluster.eager-lock: enable
>>> network.remote-dio: enable

cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm: full

Dhananjay wrote:

>>> Adding Lindsay Mathieson, who has tested
sharding with VM store extensively. :)

-------------------------

<florent.bello at ville-kourou.fr>

SENT: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:12:27 PM
[Gluster-users] Shard in production

recently the Shard feature is reached to stable. Soon, i want to install
oVirt with Gluster Replica Storage and i guess shard feature is good for
me. Can i use this feature for my VM Storage production or you guess
it's not mature ?

>> --

Lindsay Mathieson

Links: