[Gluster-users] Gluster packages made available by the CentOS Storage SIG

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 11:24:07 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:03:36AM +0100, Jorick Astrego wrote:

> On 11/20/2015 01:26 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> > Over the last few weeks we have been working on getting the repositories
> > and related bits in place so that the Storage SIG is able to release
> > Gluster packages for general consumption. I am pleased to announce that
> > the majority of the requested versions are now available. Users can now
> > simple install Gluster on CentOS 6 and 7 with only these two commands:
> >
> >    # yum install centos-release-gluster
> >    # yum install glusterfs-server
> >
> > The centos-release-gluster package comes from CentOS Extras, and there
> > are two flavour of this package. centos-release-gluster37 is the default
> > that gets installed with the above commands, and provides a repository
> > with GlusterFS 37. In case GlusterFS 3.6 is needed, you can install the
> > centos-release-gluster36 package instead.
> >
> > More details about the packages that the Gluster project provides in the
> > Storage SIG is available in the documentation:
> >
> >    https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Storage/Gluster
> >
> > The centos-release-gluster* repositories offer additional packages that
> > enhance the usability of Gluster itself. Users can request additional
> > tools and applications to be provided, just send us an email with your
> > suggestions. The current list of packages that is (planned to become)
> > available can be found here:
> >
> >    https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Storage/Gluster/Ecosystem-pkgs
> >
> > Gluster is the first project that provides packages through the Storage
> > SIG. Other projects are in the process to do so too. General information
> > about the SIG can be read in the wiki:
> >
> >    https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Storage
> >

> Most of our servers are running CentOS 7, but today I tried to update a
> CentOS 6 cluster.
>
> The repo doesn't seem to be setup correctly after installing
> "centos-release-gluster36.noarch 0:1.0-3.el6.centos" for CentOS 6:
>
>     http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/storage/x86_64/gluster-3.6/repodata/repomd.xml:
>     [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404
>     Not Found"
>     Trying other mirror.
>     Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
>     repository: centos-gluster36. Please verify its path and try again
>
> When I check it manually, I can see that
> "mirror.centos.org/centos/6/storage" doesn't exist at all!

Thanks, this is indeed an issue and we've been trying to get it fixed
since last week. Unfortunately it is not so simple, but I hope RPMs will
be available later this week.

There has been an issue identified with the automatic package gathering
that is done before the RPM signing happens and packages get pushed to
the mirrors. It seems that i686 packages are included under the x86_64
repo, and that is not what we want. The CentOS guys are trying to figure
out what the best approach is to prevent that.

In the mean time, you can enable the testing repository, those are the
(unsigned) packaegs that were expected to be available on the mirrors:

  # yum --enablerepo=centos-gluster36-test install glusterfs-server

Once the packages are on the mirrors, I'll send a note to this list
again.

Niels