[Gluster-users] RAID on GLUSTER node

Pawan Devaiah pawan.devaiah at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 23:04:59 UTC 2016

Hi All,

We have a fairly powerful server sitting at office with 128 Gig RAM and 36
X 4 TB drives. I am planning to utilize this server as a backend storage
with GlusterFS on it.
I have been doing lot of reading on Glusterfs, but I do not see any
definite recommendation on having RAID on GLUSTER nodes.
Is it recommended to have RAID on GLUSTER nodes specially for the bricks?
If Yes, is it not contrary to the latest Erasure code implemented in
Gluster or is it still not ready for production environment?
I am happy to implement RAID but my two main concern are
1. I want to make most of the disk space available.
2. I am also concerned about the rebuild time after disk failure on the
RAID.

Thanks
Dev