[Gluster-users] High I/O And Processor Utilization

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Sat Jan 9 01:36:04 UTC 2016

On 01/09/2016 01:44 AM, Kyle Harris wrote:

> It’s been a while since I last ran GlusterFS so I thought I might give
> it another try here at home in my lab.  I am using the 3.7 branch on 2
> systems with a 3^rd being an arbiter node. Much like the last time I
> tried GlusterFS, I keep running into issues with the glusterfsd
> process eating up so many resources that the systems sometimes become
> all but unusable.  A quick Google search tells me I am not the only
> one to run into this issue but I have yet to find a cure.  The last
> time I ran GlusterFS, it was to host web sites and I just chalked the
> problem up to a large number of small files.  This time, I am using it
> to host VM’s and there are only 7 of them and while they are running,
> they are not doing anything else.

The performance improvements for self-heal are still a
(stalled_at_the_moment)-work-in-progress. But for VM use cases, you can
turn on sharding [1], which will drastically reduce data self-heal
time.  Why don't you give it a spin on your lab setup and let us know
how it goes? You might have to create the VMs again though since only
the files that are created after enabling the feature will be sharded.

-Ravi

[1] http://blog.gluster.org/2015/12/introducing-shard-translator/