[Gluster-users] Multiple Volumes (bricks), One Disk

Eric Johnson eric.johnson at corp.airmail.net
Tue Nov 12 16:21:18 UTC 2013

I would suggest using different partitions for each brick.  We use LVM
and start off with a relativity small amount allocated space, then grow
the partitions as needed.  If you were to place 2 bricks on the same
partition then the free space is not going to show correctly.  Example:

1TB partition 2 bricks on this partition

brick: vol-1-a   using 200GB
brick: vol-2-a   using 300GB.

Both volumes would show that they have ~500GB free, but in reality there
would be ~500GB that either could use.  I don't know if there would be
any other issues with putting 2 or more bricks on the same partition,
but it doesn't seem like a good idea.  I had gluster setup that way when
I was first testing it, and it seemed to work other than the free space
issue, but I quickly realized it would be better to separate out the
bricks on to their own partition.  Using LVM allows you to easily grow
partitions as needed.

my 2 cents.

On 11/12/13, 9:31 AM, David Gibbons wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am interested in some feedback on putting multiple bricks on one
> physical disk. Each brick being assigned to a different volume. Here
> is the scenario:
>
> 4 disks per server, 4 servers, 2x2 distribute/replicate
>
> I would prefer to have just one volume but need to do geo-replication
> on some of the data (but not all of it). My thought was to use two
> volumes, which would allow me to selectively geo-replicate just the
> data that I need to, by replicating only one volume.
>
> A couple of questions come to mind:
> 1) Any implications of doing two bricks for different volumes on one
> physical disk?
> 2) Will the "free space" across each volume still calculate correctly?
> IE, if one volume takes up 2/3 of the total physical disk space, will
> the second volume still reflect the correct amount of used space?
> 3) Am I being stupid/missing something obvious?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Eric Johnson
713-968-2546