[Gluster-devel] Tips and Tricks for Gluster Developer

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 14:16:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 7:43 PM, Raghavendra Talur <rtalur at redhat.com>
wrote:

> HI All,
>
> I am sure there are many tricks hidden under sleeves of many Gluster
> developers.
> I realized this when speaking to new developers. It would be good have a
> searchable thread of such tricks.
>
> Just reply back on this thread with the tricks that you have and I promise
> I will collate them and add them to developer guide.
>

> Looking forward to be amazed!
>
> Thanks,
> Raghavendra Talur

I will start.

How to get a good visualization of performance data.

* clone flamegraph git repo git clone
https://github.com/brendangregg/FlameGraph
* cd into clone dir
* run the program you are interested to take perf of
* perf record -F 800 -a -p <PIDOFPROG> -g -- sleep 60
* perf script | ./stackcollapse-perf.pl > out.perf-folded
* ./flamegraph.pl out.perf-folded > perf-kernel.svg
* view the svg file created in browser

A sample of what you would get is attached.