[Gluster-devel] Closing bugs filed against the mainline/devel version earlier

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Jan 21 18:06:17 UTC 2016

Hi Naga,

a while back you closed a bunch of bugs that roughly matched this
criteria:

 - select mainline bug to potentially close
 - is there a cloned bug to a stable release (backport)
 - is the backport marked as CLOSED/CURRENTRELEASE
 -> close the mainline bug as CLOSED/NEXTRELEASE

 (from http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.gluster.devel/12760/focus=12888 )

Most of this looks fine, except that we can not use the "cloned" field.
There are bugs that get filed against different versions, and then get
marked as "depends on" or "blocks". Filing bugs through cloning is only
one option, and misses the other bugs. We really would need to use those
other fields instead.

If you are interested in this, you could help us by defining the policy
to close mainline bugs. The current policy is documented here:

  http://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Contributors-Guide/Bug-report-Life-Cycle/

Could you send a pull request with an updated text?

Also, can you share the script or bugzilla search query that you used to
identify the bugs that you closed? It is something that we would need to
run after each release is made. A note should get added to the release
process:

  http://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Contributors-Guide/GlusterFS-Release-process/

A pull request with the script that you used can be sent to our
release-tools repository on GitHub:

  https://github.com/gluster/release-tools

We have some developers that are (slowly) working on automating the bug
status when patches get posted, merged and releases are tagged. Once
they have some advancement in their project, we can integrate your
close-mainline-bugs script too.

Many thanks,
Niels