[Gluster-devel] Few details needed about *any* recent or upcoming feature

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 12:36:52 UTC 2016

> on Saturday the 30th of January I am scheduled to give a presentation
> titled "Gluster roadmap, recent improvements and upcoming features":
>
>   https://fosdem.org/2016/schedule/event/gluster_roadmap/
>
> I would like to ask from all feature owners/developers to reply to this
> email with a short description and a few keywords about their features.
> My plan is to have at most one slide for each feature, so keep it short.

=== NSR

* journal- and server-based (vs. client-based AFR)

* better throughput for many workloads

* faster, more precise repair

* SSD-friendly

* (some day) internal snapshot capability

Some explanation, so you're not just reading the slides or in case
you're asked.

* On throughput, NSR does not split each client's bandwidth among N
servers, and generates a nice sequential I/O pattern on each server
(into the journals).  These effects tend to outweigh any theoretical
increase in latency due to the extra server-to-server "hop" - as is
clearly demonstrated by other systems already using this approach.

* WTF does "SSD-friendly" mean?  It means that NSR can trivially be
configured to put journals on a separate device from the main store.
Since we do full data journaling, that means we can serve newly written
data from that separate device, which can be of a faster type.  This
gives us a simple form of tiering, independently of that implemented in
DHT.  However, unlike Ceph, we do not *require* the journal to be on a
separate device.

* Similarly, because journals are time-based and separate from the
main store, simply skipping the most recent journal segments on reads
gives us a kind of snapshot.  This is a feature of the *design* that we
might exploit some day, but certainly not of the 4.0 *implementation*.
The nice thing about it is that it's completely independent of the
underlying local filesystem or volume manager, so (unlike our current
LVM-biased approach) it can work on any platform.