[Gluster-devel] rm -r problem on FreeBSD port

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Jan 19 23:58:41 UTC 2016

Sakshi Bansai wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Could you get us some more information about your setup:

First off, just to make it clear, the setup is a simple 2 brick distribute
(no replication or ...) like the doc recommends for a quick tryout.

> 1) Are you parallely doing 'rm -r' from multiple mount points? Or are you
> doing 'ls' while rm was in progress?
No, just an "rm -r" when nothing else is being done with the volume.

> 2) Is the error just a one time occurrence or do you still see it when you
> try and remove the directory?
Persistent. An "rmdir" will keep failing (even after a unmount/mount or reboot
of the machines the volume is on).
The only way I can get rid of the files is to "rm" them on the underlying bricks.
(I usually do this with it unmounted and the volume stopped and I usually end
 up deleting the volume at this point and creating a fresh one.)

> 3) The directory listing that you have shown (for which you got directory not
> empty error) seems to have files, are you able to remove the files
> explicitly?
Sometimes. When this occurs (I get something like this every time I do an "rm -r")
I can sometimes go into the directory and do an explicit "rm <file>". At that point
it will report that the file doesn't exist (I suspect because it sees 2 of them and
the second one is gone once the first is removed).
Other times, the "rm" doesn't gte rid of the file. (I am not sure if unmount/mounting
affects this?)

> 4) If you still have the same setup could you list the contents of the
> directory 'modules' from the mount and the bricks.

Afraid not. I deleted the volume and the underlying bricks and created a new one.

Btw, I also see slightly different situations.
For example, in the test I just did, the mount on the volume (I tried both fuse and
NFSv3) both return nothing except "." and ".." for "ls".)
However the rmdir of the directory reports "not empty" and there are files on one
of the 2 bricks in that directory. The difference seems to be that the directory is
empty on the other brick instead of having files under the same names, but with mode == 0
and size == 0 (the case I showed in the email).

I'll admit I find the fact that there are files on both bricks under the same name
when I am not using replication weird.
Do you know why this is the case?

I am now going to try a volume with only one brick and see what happens.

Thanks for any help with this, rick