[Gluster-devel] How to cope with spurious regression failures

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Tue Jan 19 15:03:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 07:08:03PM +0530, Raghavendra Talur wrote:
> a. Allowing re-running to tests to make them pass leads to complacency with
> how tests are written.
> b. A test is bad if it is not deterministic and running a bad test has *no*
> value. We are wasting time even if the test runs for a few seconds.

I agree with your vision for the long term, but my proposal address the
short term situation. But we could use the retry approahc to fuel your
blacklist approach:

We could immagine a system where the retry feature would cast votes on
individual tests: each time we fail once and succeed on retry, cast
a +1 unreliable for the test.

After a few days, we will have a wall of shame for unreliable tests,
which could either be fixed or go to the blacklist.

I do not know what software to use to collect and display the results,
though. Should we have a gerrit change for each test?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu at netbsd.org