[Gluster-Maintainers] Lock down period merge process

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 08:33:34 UTC 2018

> We know maintainers of the components which are leading to repeated
> failures in that component and we just need to do the same thing we did to
> remove commit access for the maintainer of the component instead of all of
> the people. So in that sense it is not good faith and can be enforced.

Pranith, I believe the difference of opinion is because you're looking at
this problem in terms of "who" rather than "what". We do not care about
*who* broke master. Removing commit access from a component owner doesn't
stop someone else from landing a patch will create a failure in the same
component or even a different component. We cannot stop patches from
landing because it touches a specific component. And even if we could, our
components are not entirely independent of each other. There could still be
failures. This is a common scenario and it happened the last time we had to
close master. Let me further re-emphasize our goals:

* When master is broken, every team member's energy needs to be focused on
getting master to green. Who broke the build isn't a concern as much as
*the build is broken*. This is not a situation to punish specific people.
* If we allow other commits to land, we run the risk of someone else
breaking master with a different patch. Now we have two failures to debug
and fix.