[Gluster-users] 2018 - Plans and Expectations on Gluster Community

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Tue Jan 2 02:15:36 UTC 2018

Hi All,

First of all, happy new year 2018! Hope all of your wishes come true this
year, and hope you will have time for contributing to Gluster Project this
year too :-)

As a contributor and one of the maintainers of the project I would like to
propose below plans for Gluster Project, and please share your feedback,
and comments on them.

   - *Improved Automation to reduce the process burden*

We started some effort in this direction already. The thought process is
captured here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/
1AFkZmRRDXRxs21GnGauieIyiIiRZ-nTEW8CPi7Gbp3g/edit?usp=sharing

We need your help to share experience from other projects, and help to
automate most of it.

   - *Use case driven documentation*

Will be an on-going effort, but instead of focusing on more options,
different way of doing things, we will try to keep one very well tested way
in documentation.

All other options, hacks etc will be moved into 'Advanced' section.

   - *Participation, meetups in more conferences and events, across the
   globe.*

We will try to participate in more events, so users can interact with more
developers, and express their concerns, suggestions, discuss ideas etc.

We will be open to hear both good and bad things about project, so we can
continue good things, and fix the things which are not going well. Do let
us know about some events where you would like to see some of the
developers, so we can see what can be done to arrange their travel.

   - *Focus on Integrations with other projects/products.*

In storage, it is better to be 100% (or close to it) fit for some use cases
/ few use cases, instead of trying to be good for everyone and solving
around 90% issues in generic use-case. Hence we will try to get complete at
certain use cases while continuing to get better overall.

We will be happy to get contribution in this direction, and also will work
on making sure project is integration friendly. We will take integration
issues with priority, and would work with different communities to get this
effort move on properly.

   - *Continue with stable release cycles*

Since last 4-5 releases, we have been sticking to timelines. We promise to
keep this going. We will make Gluster 4.0 happen, and by 4.1 release, would
like to see most of the community starts thinking about migration to 4.x
versions.

----

We are also working on many more 'tasks' in the meantime. If you need
anything, feel free to send an email, and/or raise an issue in github.

Once again, Wish you all happy new year 2018!

Amar Tumballi (amarts)