[Gluster-users] sparse files on EC volume

Dmitri Chebotarov 4dimach at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 13:57:55 UTC 2017

Hi Xavi

At this time I'm using 'plain' bricks with XFS. I'll be moving to LVM
cached bricks.
There is no RAID for data bricks, but I'll be using hardware RAID10 for SSD
cache disks (I can use 'writeback' cache in this case).

'small file performance' is the main reason I'm looking at different
options, i.e. using formated sparse files.
I spent considerable amount of time tuning 10GB/kernel/gluster to reduce
latency - the small file performance improved ~50% but it's still no good
enough, especially when I need to use Gluster for /home folders.

I understand limitations and single point of failure in case with sparse
files. I'm considering different options to provide HA (pacemaker/corosync,
keepalived or using VMs - RHEV - to deliver storage).

Thank you for your reply.