[Gluster-users] EC 1+2

Xavi Hernandez jahernan at redhat.com
Tue Sep 26 05:51:46 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 23/09/17 16:00, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> Is possible to create a dispersed volume 1+2 ? (Almost the same as
> replica 3, the same as RAID-6)

This cannot be done by current version of EC. It requires that the
number of data bricks be greater than the number of redundancy bricks.
So if you want redundancy 2, you need to have, at least, 3 data bricks
(4 is better for best performance). This means that the minimum
recommended configuration with redundancy 2 is 4+2.

> If yes, how many server I have to add in the future to expand the
> storage? 1 or 3?

You always need to grow using multiples of the sum of data and
redundancy bricks. In your case this would be 3. However, as explained
before, this configuration is not supported. You should use 4+2 to have
2 bricks of redundancy. In this case you would need to grow in blocks of
6 bricks.

Xavi