[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Fwd: Re: GlusterFS removal from Openstack Cinder

WK wkmail at bneit.com
Tue May 30 22:54:20 UTC 2017

On 5/30/2017 3:24 PM, Ric Wheeler wrote:

> As a community, each member needs to make sure that their specific use
> case has the resources it needs to flourish. If some team cares about
> Gluster in openstack, they should step forward and provide the
> engineering and hardware resources needed to make it succeed.
>
> Red Hat has and continues to pour resources into Gluster - Gluster is
> thriving. We have loads of work going on with gluster in RHEV,
> Kubernetes, NFS Ganesha and Samba.
>
> What we are not doing and that has been clear for many years now is to
> invest in Gluster in openstack.

OK, I'll bite.

Why is RedHat not interested in Gluster in OpenStack?

Its obvious from my years lurking on the Openstack Mailing lists that
the OpenStack community is most comfortable with Ceph. When asked about
Gluster, I've seen vague 'complaints' which are mostly no longer
relevant and more likely arise from a lack of familiarity with modern
Gluster.

I've always been a little surprised the RH people didn't correct that.
Instead the OpenStack=Ceph and RHEV=Gluster mindsets seems to have been
ingrained.

-bill