[Gluster-users] Sharding?

Alessandro Briosi ab1 at metalit.com
Fri Mar 10 09:11:47 UTC 2017

Il 09/03/2017 17:17, Vijay Bellur ha scritto:

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Kevin Lemonnier <lemonnierk at ulrar.net
> <mailto:lemonnierk at ulrar.net>> wrote:
>
>     > I've seen the term sharding pop up on the list a number of times
>     but I
>     > haven't found any documentation or explanation of what it is.
>     Would someone
>     > please enlighten me?
>
>     It's a way to split the files you put on the volume. With a shard
>     size of 64 MB
>     for example, the biggest file on the volume will be 64 MB. It's
>     transparent
>     when accessing the files though, you can still of course write
>     your 2 TB file
>     and access it as usual.
>
>     It's usefull for things like healing (only the shard being headed
>     is locked,
>     and you have a lot less data to transfert) and for things like
>     hosting a single
>     huge file that would be bigger than one of your replicas.
>
>     We use it for VM disks, as it decreases heal times a lot.
>

> Some more details on sharding can be found at [1].

I haven't done any test yet, but I was under the impression that
sharding feature isn't so stable/mature yet.
In the remote of my mind I remember reading something about a
bug/situation which caused data corruption.
Can someone confirm that sharding is stable enough to be used in
production and won't cause any data loss?

I'd really would like to use it, as it would probably speed up healing a
lot (as I use it to store vm disks).

Thanks,
Alessandro