[Gluster-users] Any documents about /etc/glusterfs/glusterd.vol?

Masao Sakata sakata at preferred.jp
Mon Jan 23 01:12:37 UTC 2017

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Masao Sakata <sakata at preferred.jp>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to install GlusterFS and looking for which options can be
>> configured then I reached the documentation below.
>>
>>   Managing GlussterFS Volumes
>>   <http://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Administrator%20Gui
>> de/Managing%20Volumes/>
>>
>> In addition to using "gluster volume set" command written in the
>> document, I also find some descriptions refering to a configuration file
>> "/etc/glusterfs/glusterd.vol" to add or edit some options when I searched
>> in google or in this mailing list.  However there seems to no concrete
>> explanation about this file in the above readthedocs site.
>>
>> I guess editing vol file is an old method to configure GlusterFS.  Is my
>> understanding correct?  Otherwise would someone kindly tell me the location
>> of the document which showing how to use the vol file?
>>

> glusterd.vol is a config file which glusterd uses during it's own
> initialization. The parameters used in this file are somewhat global to
> GlusterD's context and has nothing to do with any volume specific options.
> For a particular volume tunable you are advised to use volume set interface
> through CLI.
>
> This is how the glusterd.vol file looks like
>
> volume management
>

>     type mgmt/glusterd
>
>     option working-directory @GLUSTERD_WORKDIR@
> /* defines where glusterd's data will be stored
>     option transport-type socket,rdma
>                                          /* transport type options
>     option transport.socket.keepalive-time 10
>
>     option transport.socket.keepalive-interval
> 2
>     option transport.socket.read-fail-log off
>
>     option ping-timeout 0
>                                                   /* ping-timeout set to
> 0 indicates there is no ping-timer logic
>     option event-threads 1
>                                                 /* single threaded e-poll
> #   option transport.address-family inet6
>
> #   option base-port 49152
>
> end-volume

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, Atin!  I understand the difference
between the two and I would like to configure the volume through CLI as you
mentioned.

When I need to edit other options in vol file than those you have shown, I
would like to research by myself or ask here because there seems to be no
detailed documentation about vol file.

Thanks,
Masao