[Gluster-users] Convert to Shard - Setting Guidance

Kevin Lemonnier lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Fri Jan 20 08:05:16 UTC 2017

> One: It may take months to convert my current VM images to shard's, do you
> see any issues with this?  My priority is to make sure future images are
> distributed as shards.

You should be able to do that while your VMs are running. I guess it depends
on your hypvervisor, but with KVM just moving the disk to a new filename while
the VM is running should be enough, as it'll create a new file and copy the
data, thus creating the shards.
But it'll take a while for sure.

> Two:  Settings, my intent is to set it as follows based on guidance on the
> Redhat site and what I have been reading here.  Do these look okay?
> Additional suggestions?
>

> Modified Settings

> features.shard enable
>
> features.shard-block-size 512MB

That seems huge to me, especialy if you're going for the full algo.
We're using 64MB and we're quite happy with it. But we don't have 10 GB
connections between the servers so maybe you're fine ..

--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111