[Gluster-users] Different network for server and client

Deepak Naidu dnaidu at nvidia.com
Wed Feb 22 17:31:27 UTC 2017

I have a setup where storage nodes use network-1 & client nodes use network-2.

In both server/client, I use /etc/hosts entry to define storage node name, example node1, node2, node3 etc...

When client uses node1 hostname it resolves to network-2 & when storage uses node1 it resolves to network-1.

I don't think GlusterFS has as many scrubbing jobs like other SDS where they need cluster interconnect, it's mostly client server replication/translator model. Other use case where "different" network is helpful , if you have remote replication(geo) going across the pipe.

--
Deepak

On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:19 AM, David Gossage <dgossage at carouselchecks.com<mailto:dgossage at carouselchecks.com>> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Alessandro Briosi <ab1 at metalit.com<mailto:ab1 at metalit.com>> wrote:
Il 22/02/2017 13:54, Gandalf Corvotempesta ha scritto:
> I don't think would be possible because is the client that write on
> all server
> The replication is made by the client, not by the server

I really hope this is not true.

Not sure if it's a great idea, but gluster if I recall binds on all interfaces so if you use dns names to connect and create your gluster volumes/peers you can have those dns names point to whatever IP you want.

Alessandro