[Gluster-users] 3.8 Upgrade to 3.10

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Fri Aug 25 13:41:48 UTC 2017

On 08/25/2017 09:17 AM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> Currently running 3.8.12, planning to rolling upgrade it to 3.8.15 this
> weekend.
>
>   * debian 8
>   * 3 nodes
>   * Replica 3
>   * Sharded
>   * VM Hosting only
>
> The release notes strongly recommend upgrading to 3.10
>
>   * Is there any downside to staying on 3.8.15 for a while longer?

3.8 will receive no further updates post 3.12 is released, if the
cluster is stable and you are not waiting on any fixes, then staying on
a bit longer may not hurt.

>   * I didn't see anything I had to have in 3.10, but ongoing updates are
>     always good :(

Yes, issues raised on 3.8 will *possibly* receive an answer which would
be, "please upgrade and let us know if the problem persists".

> This mildly concerned me:
>
>   * Expanding a gluster volume that is sharded may cause file corruption
>
> But I have no plans to expand or change the volume, so shouldn't be a issue?

It should not given your usage, the problem should persist in 3.8
version as well, and in latest 3.10 releases, the last known problems
regarding this corruption are fixed and we are just awaiting
confirmation from users to remove the note.

> Upgrading
>
>   * Can I go straight from 3.8 to 3.10?
>   * Do I need to offline the volume first?

The upgrade notes [1] covers this, in short an offline upgrade is not
needed in your setup, as disperse is not a part of the stack.

Shyam

[1] 3.10 upgrade guide:
https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Upgrade-Guide/upgrade_to_3.10/