[Gluster-users] Testing gluster

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sat Apr 29 21:35:35 UTC 2017

You need to test the system in ways that match the way you intend to use
the system.

Bonnie is a nice generic test of disk and file system performance but it
will seldom match any real world application unless your application is
to run bonnie on systems.

If your running a database with large tables then the way you test will
be different than if your running something like a mail server with
millions of very small files that are seldom updated..

If you want to check  failure modes you need to think of all the
possible failure modes.
  - Loss of a server
  - Loss of a brick
  - Loss of communication between servers
  - Loss of communication between clients and some/all servers
  - file system corruption
  - an error prone network connection
  and so on.

If you want to check data integrity then you need to have something like
a checksum on each file and when your done check against the checksum or
actually run a full compare on each file.
Correctly setup you could get rsync to in effect do the comparison for you.

On 04/29/2017 10:26 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> I would like to heavy test a small gluster installation.
> Anyone did this previously ?
>
> I think that running bonnie++ for 2 or more days and trying to remove
> nodes/bricks
> would be enough to test everything, but how can i ensure that, after
> some days, all
> file stored are exactly how bonnie++ has created ?
>
> Probably, rsync would be better ? I can try to sync a directory with
> millions of files
> and while the syncing is running, trying to make some damages (power
> off, unplug, etc etc).
> After all, re-running rsync should not transfer any file, they should
> be already present.
>
> Right ? If rsync re-sync files, means that gluster has made some data
> loss or data corruption.

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||