[Gluster-users] Add single server

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 14:08:08 UTC 2017

> Are you suggesting this process to be easier through commands, rather than
> for administrators to figure out how to place the data?
>
> [1] http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-July/027431.html

Admin should always have the ability to choose where to place data,
but something
easier should be added, like in any other SDS.

Something like:

gluster volume add-brick gv0 new_brick

if gv0 is a replicated volume, the add-brick should automatically add
the new brick and rebalance data automatically, still keeping the
required redundancy level

In case admin would like to set a custom placement for data, it should
specify a "force" argument or something similiar.

tl;dr: as default, gluster should preserve data redundancy allowing
users to add single bricks without having to think how to place data.
This will make gluster way easier to manage and much less error prone,
thus increasing the resiliency of the whole gluster.
after all , if you have a replicated volume, is obvious that you want
your data to be replicated and gluster should manage this on it's own.

Is this something are you planning or considering for further implementation?
I know that lack of metadata server (this is a HUGE advantage for
gluster) means less flexibility, but as there is a manual workaround
for adding
single bricks, gluster should be able to handle this automatically.