[Gluster-users] web folder on glusterfs

lemonnierk at ulrar.net lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Sat Apr 22 10:57:37 UTC 2017

Hi,

I can't talk about performances on newer versions, but as of gluster
3.7 / 3.8, performances for small files (like a website) are pretty bad.
It does work well though as long as you configure OPCache to keep
everything in memory (bump the cache size and disable stat).

As for storing a disk on gluster, it would work a lot better yes
but that's not doable for a website, as you need all of your webservers
to access the files at the same time. For that you'd have to use OCSF2
instead of ext4, and that defeats the purpose of using glusterfs in the
first place I think.

You could consider setting up your 3 servers as hypervisors (we are using
proxmox in that configurating) and use gluster as your shared storage,
then set up a VM on that cluster : that way you would have a highly
available web server. That works very well, but that might be overkill
for just one website.

I'd go with what you are thinking of, it's simple to setup and with
agressive OPCache settings it works fairly well ! You really don't
want to forget disabling stat though. You'll have to restart PHP-FPM
everytime you make a change to a php file, but it's worth it.
One last thing, use a redis / memcache / whatever to store your
application cache, I don't know joomla but if it's anything like
prestashop / magento / wordpress, storing the cache on glusterfs will
kill performances even more than forgetting to disable stat in OPCache.