[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Announcing release 3.11 : Scope, schedule and feature tracking

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Thu Apr 13 15:32:28 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 8:17 PM, Shyam <srangana at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/28/2017 10:17 AM, Shyam wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With release 3.10 shipped [1], it is time to set the dates for release
>> 3.11 (and subsequently 4.0).
>>
>> This mail has the following sections, so please read or revisit as needed,
>>   - Release 3.11 dates (the schedule)
>>   - 3.11 focus areas
>>

> Pinging the list on the above 2 items.
>
> *Release 3.11 dates:*
>> Based on our release schedule [2], 3.11 would be 3 months from the 3.10
>> release and would be a Short Term Maintenance (STM) release.
>>
>> This puts 3.11 schedule as (working from the release date backwards):
>> - Release: May 30th, 2017
>> - Branching: April 27th, 2017
>>

> Branching is about 2 weeks away, other than the initial set of overflow
> features from 3.10 nothing else has been raised on the lists and in github
> as requests for 3.11.
>
> So, a reminder to folks who are working on features, to raise the relevant
> github issue for the same, and post it to devel list for consideration in
> 3.11 (also this helps tracking and ensuring we are waiting for the right
> things at the time of branching).

https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/158 will get into 3.11. This
feature enhances the existing get-state cli implementation to add few more
parameters like client details, brick consumption to the output file so
that these new attributes can be considered by tendrl project.

>> *3.11 focus areas:*
>> As maintainers of gluster, we want to harden testing around the various
>> gluster features in this release. Towards this the focus area for this
>> release are,
>>
>> 1) Testing improvements in Gluster
>>   - Primary focus would be to get automated test cases to determine
>> release health, rather than repeating a manual exercise every 3 months
>>   - Further, we would also attempt to focus on maturing Glusto[7] for
>> this, and other needs (as much as possible)
>>
>> 2) Merge all (or as much as possible) Facebook patches into master, and
>> hence into release 3.11
>>   - Facebook has (as announced earlier [3]) started posting their
>> patches mainline, and this needs some attention to make it into master
>>

> Further to the above, we are also considering the following features for
> this release, request feature owners to let us know if these are actively
> being worked on and if these will make the branching dates. (calling out
> folks that I think are the current feature owners for the same)
>
> 1) Halo - Initial Cut (@pranith)
> 2) IPv6 support (@kaushal)
> 3) Negative lookup (@poornima)
> 4) Parallel Readdirp - More changes to default settings. (@poornima, @du)
>

> [1] 3.10 release announcement:
>> http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-Februa
>> ry/052188.html
>>
>> [2] Gluster release schedule:
>> https://www.gluster.org/community/release-schedule/
>>
>> [3] Mail regarding facebook patches:
>> http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-Decemb
>> er/051784.html
>>
>> [4] Release scope: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/projects/1
>>
>> [5] glusterfs github issues: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues
>>
>> [6] github issues for features and major fixes:
>> https://hackmd.io/s/BkgH8sdtg#
>>
>> [7] Glusto tests: https://github.com/gluster/glusto-tests

ATin Mukherjee

Associate Manager, RHGS Development