[Gluster-users] GlusterFS and NFS issues

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Oct 10 10:35:23 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 04:49:48PM +0300, deZillium wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can't, for the life of me, get NFS mounts working from clients. Any help
> is greatly appreciated.
>
> OS: Debian 8.6
>
> GlusterFS 3.8.4-1 installed using the GlusterFS Debian repos.
>

> Mounting using the native (glusterfs) client works but not as fast as I
> would like it to, so I have to use NFS.
> Tried restarting nfs-common, rpcbind, stopping and starting the volume,
> restarting GlusterFS servers...nothing makes the volume show up on the
> client when using NFS. Again, for clarity, mounting with -t glusterfs works
> OK, writing and reading files works.

You need to make sure that there are no NFS services from the OS
running as they conflict with Gluster/NFS. I do not know what
"nfs-common" starts or sets-up, but I guess you need to disable this
service and restart all Gluster/NFS processes. "rpcbind" is required,
Gluster/NFS will only register itself there when no other NFS-service
occupies the slots.

Note that there can only be one NFS implementation active on a server.
This counts for both NFS-client and NFS-server, some of the services
(like NSM/NLM) are shared and conflict with each other. When Gluster/NFS
is enabled on the server, the server should ideally not mount any
exports over NFS (and te other way around).

HTH,
Niels