[Gluster-users] New commands for supporting add/remove brick and rebalance on tiered volume

Hari Gowtham hgowtham at redhat.com
Mon Oct 3 06:51:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

The current add and remove brick commands aren't sufficient to support
add/remove brick on tiered volumes.So the commands need minor changes
like mentioning which tier we are doing the operation on. So in order
to specify the tier on which we are performing the changes, I thought
of using the following commands for add and remove brick

adding brick on tiered volume:

removing brick on tierd volume:
gluster volume tier <volname> remove-hot-brick/remove-cold-brick <brick> ... <start|stop|status|commit|force>

I have framed it this way because once we mention details about tiering
these commands become specific to tier and the syntax that we follow for
commands are gluster volume component <VOLNAME> ...
So i have made sure that the keyword tier comes after volume.
Need suggestions to make these commands better.

Similarly once we support add/remove brick we will be having rebalance
commands and the idea is to support rebalance separately for each tier.
So once we will have to rebalance status to display for which we need
rebalance commands specific to tier. so these are the commands we have
thought of:
gluster v tier <VOLNAME> hot-rebalance/cold-rebalance <start|stop|status>

Need your comments regarding this.

Hari.