[Gluster-users] Number of Bricks 1 x (2 + 1) = 3 and arbiter disappearing

Nicola Petracchi nicola.petracchi at digiville.it
Wed May 11 08:47:36 UTC 2016

Hello, I have deployed a gluster configuration of this type:
Number of Bricks: 1 x (2 + 1) = 3
2 data + 1 arbiter

After deploy, all machines were reporting the correct volume info informations:
Volume Name: gvol0
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 1 x (2 + 1) = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: pc01:/var/lib/gvol0/brick1
Brick2: pc02:/var/lib/gvol0/brick2
Brick3: pcgw:/var/lib/gvol0/brickgw (arbiter)

Then, I had to restart gluster service on brick2, after that, only on
that machine the volume info was:
Volume Name: gvol0
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: pc01:/var/lib/gvol0/brick1
Brick2: pc02:/var/lib/gvol0/brick2
Brick3: pcgw:/var/lib/gvol0/brickgw
others nodes were still reporting the original volume info informations.

This thing appears strange to me, since I suppose all the members of a
cluster should be consistent on output of informations of a "shared"
resource.

Btw, later on I had to reboot the arbiter server and again, on that server:
Volume Name: gvol0
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: pc01:/var/lib/gvol0/brick1
Brick2: pc02:/var/lib/gvol0/brick2
Brick3: pcgw:/var/lib/gvol0/brickgw

Only one node, the one never rebooted is stating that brick3 is an
arbiter, aside this information the arbiter node is working as an
arbiter since the data folder contains empty files and is updated with
the others.

Is this a situation to solve? an issue?
Considerations are appreciated.
Regards