[Gluster-users] Kudos to All

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 13:23:03 UTC 2016

On 04/17/2016 07:31 AM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> Hi developers, didn't want to be whiny all the time re possible issues
> :) and to congratulate you on the 3.7.x release - its come a long way
> since the 3.5 range I initially looked at and I really appreciate the
> attention to details for VM hosting environments.

Thank you, Lindsay! We appreciate all your efforts to make this happen
as well!

> The chunking really works and makes a big difference to handling the
> relatively small number of very large files on a VM hosting, it makes a
> big difference to server reboots. I've found performance, both raw and
> IOPS to be much better than any other clustered filesystems I've tried.
> I can launch 12 VM simultaneously on my relatively limited hardware with
> iowaits remaining below 7%, under previous setups on the same hardware
> it was brought to its knees.
>
> Management tools and documentation still a little quirky :) but the
> community is good and once you know your way round the system it is
> pretty straightforward.

What in your opinion would make management easier? We could build these
pieces in gluster over a period of time. Till then we can make our
documentation more relevant to address such pain points.

> I very much appreciate that gluster plays well
> with ZFS as its host file system, I think they are a perfect match.
>
> Overall I think that gluster is a great match for the small to large
> business and I appreciate the can do attitude behind the team.
>
> Spent this weekend fine tuning and benchmarking a volume, found what I
> think is the sweet spot for us and have started a production trial -
> moved 2 developers (including myself), 2 support guys and one
> receptionist to it (12  VM's total). I'll let you know if I still feel
> the same by the end of the week :)

We are all ears :).

Cheers,
Vijay