[Gluster-users] multiple volumes on same brick?

Alastair Neil ajneil.tech at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 11:06:36 UTC 2015

you mean create multiple top level directories on a mounted files system
and use each directory as a brick in a different volume?

if the underlying block device is a thinly provisioned lvm2 volume and you
want to use snapshots you cannot do this, otherwise I don't think there is
a technical reason you can't other than the obvious that this is in general
not  a good idea as  use in one volume may impact the available storage for
a different volume and it will not be transparent how much each volume is
consuming.

I have three servers each with 40Tb of disk in an external sas enclosure.
The storage is presented as a RAID 6 VD and I then make that a physical
volume and created a lvm2 Volume Group on top.  Individual bricks are thin
provisioned logical volumes.