[Gluster-users] adding a node

JF Le Fillâtre jean-francois.lefillatre at uni.lu
Mon Mar 16 16:39:47 UTC 2015

Hello again,

Yes both are possible. What matters in that case is that you have two
bricks to keep the stripe count of two.

Note that if you split your node into two bricks and stripe over them,
you will share the bandwidth between those bricks, and they will likely
be of different size than the other brick stripes. From time to time
you'll probably have to rebalance.

Thanks,
JF

On 16/03/15 17:30, Pierre Léonard wrote:
> Hi,
>> Hi,
>>
>> OK, I was confused because in your original email you mentioned "a
>> multiple of the striped so 4 other node".
>>
>> So yes your stripe count is 2, so you have to add bricks 2 by 2, as the
>> error message says. If you didn't, then it would mean that you would
>> distribute your data over two 2-brick stripes, and one 1-brick single
>> volume, which I am reasonably sure wouldn't work.
>>
>> If you want to be able to add bricks one by one, you would need a
>> regular distributed volume, without:
>> - striping (requires adding as many drives as stripe count)
>> - replication (requires adding as many drives as stripe replication count)
>> - dispersion (requires adding as many drives as whatever your dispersion
>> disk count is)
>>
>> The only two things that you can extend is the number of brick groups in
>> a distributed volume, with a similar brick group, or the number of
>> replicas (but I'm sure that there are corner cases where you can't do
>> it, I haven't tried them yet).
>>
>> Is that clearer now?
> Yes.
> So I have to find another node, or maybe is it possible to create a
> second brick on the new node ?
>
> Many Thank's.
>
> --
> Signature electronique