[Gluster-users] Poor performance with small files

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Thu Apr 30 08:25:41 UTC 2015

> Upgrade to 3.6.3 and set client.event-threads and server.event-threads to at least 4:
>
> "Previously, epoll thread did socket even-handling and the same thread was used for serving the client or processing the response received from the server. Due to this, other requests were in a queue untill the current epoll thread completed its operation. With multi-threaded epoll, events are distributed that improves the performance due the parallel processing of requests/responses received."
>
> Here are the guidelines for tuning them:
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/3/html/Administration_Guide/Small_File_Performance_Enhancements.html
>
> In my testing with epoll threads at 4 I saw a between a 15% and 50% increase depending on the workload.
>
> There are several smallfile perf enhancements in the works:
>
> *http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Feature_Smallfile_Perf
>
> *Lookup unhashed is the next feature and should be ready with 3.7(correct me if I am wrong).
>
> *If you are using RAID 6 you may want to do some testing with RAID 10 or JBOD, but the benefits here only come into play with alot of concurrent access(30+ processes / threads working with different files).
>
> *Tiering may help here if you want to add some SSDs, this is also a 3.7 feature.
>
> HTH!
>
> -b
Hi,

I'm on 3.6.3 and these options are not available:

volume set: failed: option : client.event-threads does not exist
volume set: failed: option : server.event-threads does not exist

Any ideas?

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information. Unless you are that person, you may not