[Gluster-users] NFS vs native fuse

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Apr 29 00:09:38 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-28 14:44, Kingsley wrote:
> I've seen a lot of talk about mounting gluster volumes via NFS, but
> despite searching around, I can't find (apart from performance in some
> cases) why you'd want to do this.

Performance seems like the big one in situations where it's applicable.
Compatibility where the native FUSE client can't be installed or
maintained also seems like a reasonable reason to use NFS, since the NFS
client may already exist.

Bandwidth is also a consideration, the FUSE client will upload multiple
copies based on the replica setting for the volume, so if the client is
connected at 100Mb/s or over wifi, and the servers are cross-connected
on a 10Gb/s backplane, having the client upload multiple copies vs
having the NFS server handle the replicas may have an impact on very
large files.

Finally, NFS seems to have a lighter CPU footprint on the client, at the
possible cost of higher server CPU load, although this is anecdotal
(from my own experience), and probably a mixed bag.

I have switched back and forth (and can re-mount my entire gluster
infrastructure with the flip of a single distributed config file) and
for me, NFS ends up performing better, the native gluster client is just
too slow.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/