[Gluster-users] Shrinking gluster filesystem in 3.6.2

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Fri Apr 3 00:43:28 UTC 2015

On 04/03/2015 03:22 AM, Lilley, John F. wrote:
> I checked the most recent documentation on github here
> https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/doc/admin-guide/en-US/markdown/admin_managing_volumes.md#shrinking-volumes and
> found only examples for 'remove-brick force' (which obviously doesn't
> migrate any data) and 'replace-brick' (which is now deprecated but
> isn't noted as such in the docs). I'm left wondering why they don't
> have a non-forceful remove-brick operation documented for people that
> simply want to remove a brick while migrating data to remaining bricks.
>
> Am I missing something or this common use case undocumented?
This is indeed a valid use case; it looks like portions of the doc are
outdated :-/.
While it gets fixed, you can refer to the RHS admin guide
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/3/pdf/Administration_Guide/Red_Hat_Storage-3-Administration_Guide-en-US.pdf
section 8.4 (and other sections in general for  more up to date
information).

-Ravi