[Gluster-users] logfiles get flooded by warnings

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 14:05:39 UTC 2014

On 09/19/2014 01:56 PM, Bernhard Glomm wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running
> #: glusterfs -V
> #: glusterfs 3.4.5 built on Aug  6 2014 19:15:07
> on ubuntu 14.04 from the semiosis ppa
>
> I have a replica 2 with 2 servers
> another client does a fuse mount of a volume.
> On rsyncing a bit of data onto the fuse mount,
>   I get an entry like the below one on the client - for each file that
> is copied onto the volume
>
> [2014-09-19 07:57:39.877806] W
> [client-rpc-fops.c:1232:client3_3_removexattr_cbk]
> 0-<volume_name>-client-0: remote operation failed: No data available
> [2014-09-19 07:57:39.877963] W
> [client-rpc-fops.c:1232:client3_3_removexattr_cbk]
> 0-<volume_name>-client-1: remote operation failed: No data available
> [2014-09-19 07:57:39.878462] W [fuse-bridge.c:1172:fuse_err_cbk]
> 0-glusterfs-fuse: 21741144: REMOVEXATTR()
> /<path_to_file>/.<file_name_with_a_leading_dot> => -1 (No data available)
>
> The data itself is present and accessible on the volume and on both bricks.
>
> So three questions:
> a.) what kind of data is not available? what is the client complaining
> about?

This problem is being seen for a removexattr() operation. The client
would have sent a request for an extended attribute to be removed from a
file or directory. No data available/ENODATA error is seen when the file
or directory does not have the key of the extended attribute which was
requested to be removed. Performing strace of rsync might give a clue
about the key of the extended attribute.

> b.) since it is a warning and the data seems to be okay - is there
> anything I need to fix?

Usually this warning is benign in nature.

> c.) How can I get rid of the amount of log lines? it's more than 3GB/day..

You can possibly have a logrotate policy to rotate based on the size of
the log file.

I have sent across a patch to avoid flooding logs with removexattr
warning messages when the error happens to be ENODATA or ENOATTR [1].

Regards,
Vijay

[1] http://review.gluster.org/#/c/8781/