[Gluster-users] Use NFS as bricks?

technocrat 9000 technocrat9000 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 09:49:00 UTC 2014

Hi, I'm interested in using GlusterFS for my simple home NAS system.

I'm primarily interested in being able to virtualise a bunch of different
sized harddrives into one large filesystem (whilst retaining the ability to
read data off any individual harddrive.)

At the moment, the hardware I have is:

- PC with several harddrives.
- Synology NAS box with several hardrives.

I'd like to (1) run the PC as a storage server, and have its own harddrives
as one brick, and (2) the Synology NAS as a second brick.  (3) I'd like to
mirror the two bricks for redundancy.

(1) is the normal setup for GlusterFS, but is (2) actually possible?

If I mount the Synology NAS as "/export/NAS/", for example, can I use it as
a brick? Is the fact that it's an NFS share transparent to Gluster?  Or
does Gluster care about the underlying hardware/filesystem used?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!